In search of the perfect bag, Malaysian bag brand Sembonia launched a Bag My Style! Challenge – a creation of a platform for all budding and aspiring designers to dream and dare to turn that dream into reality.
Having to keep the criteria of the challenge in mind – “Bold & Playful” for Sembonia’s Day bags and “Chic & Glam” for their Evening bags, four Raffles Designers – Adam Chew Kar Wei and Francesca Margaret Rohardjo from Fashion Design, and Livia Poulden and Jesica Glenny from Product Design gamely took on the challenge, submitting in their original designs and landing a spot in the finals as the top 10 finalists!
Held in Zirca at The Cannery, the 10 outstanding designs were realistically mimicked into real-life bags and showcased as a fashion show, alongside Sembonia’s Spring/Summer 2010 Day and Evening bags collection. The winners were to be decided through an online voting which constituted 40% of the overall result and the remaining 60% by the panel of judges – Actress and Sembonia’s Brand Ambassador Mindee Ong, Sembonia Brand Manager Christine Tan and Fashion Show Producer Daniel Boey who judged the winning entries based on originality, timelessness and functionability.
Adam’s collection was titled “Shuttle Atlantis”, inspired by space shuttle that has a solid shape and structure to form the design of the bags. “Space shuttle floats in the space and therefore, the material used for this bag is rubber and nylon, which gives a feeling as though the bag itself is floating in the air!” The day bag from his collection bagged him the second prize.
“Passion achieves a person’s objective. Once you strike a goal, be yourself and be thankful to the person who helped you along the way!” - Fashion Design Student, Adam Chew
In third place was Francesca, with her winning day bag titled “Fruitenic”. “It was inspired by a friendship that I have with my three girlfriends that was so fun and colorful, therefore I decided to make a bag that was fun and bold which describes our friendship. I named the collection Fruitenic as it is actually derived from our names; also, color tones were greatly inspired by the fruit elements to suit the spring/summer collection. This is a dedication to my friendship.”
“The Sembonia competition has been a wonderful opportunity for our students to showcase their design talents. It is always a treat to collaborate with companies and showcase our students’ works to the public. It also adds to their portfolios, boosts their self-confidence and prepares them for the “real” working world. Thank you Sembonia for this opportunity and well-done students! Keep up the good work!” - Fashion Design Lecturer, Brian W Forst
Raffles Design Institute congratulates Adam and Francesca on bagging the 1st runner up and 2nd runner up titles respectively.
For aspiring designers who wish to pursue an internationally recognized qualification in design and are interested in our Fashion Design programme, please contact our education consultant at 6338 5288 or email us.